Sunday, November 23, 2008

Beneath the stars...

I walked out of the Bighaus, out of one of my favorite places to relax and where some of my closest friends reside into a night I have never experienced before, and that I will never see again.

I left the steps of the haus and stumbled on the sidewalk more than once. My eyes weren't adjusting to the dark as fast as I would have liked, and my cell phone light was not helping. Once I put my phone in my pocket the night made itself known to me. I stopped walking and looked up, the stars have never been this bright, I'm sure of it. Thanks to my astronomy I found quite a few constellations as I made my way home, looking up half the time, relying on my memory of the town the rest of the time. I was suddenly aware of how alone I actually was, so I called a couple friends to help the time go bye, so I didn't have to be alone on my way home...no luck, no answers...God wanted to chat.

I admit, I was scared. Moscow's still safe, but not as safe as it use to be. My biggest fears are rapists, cancer, and ghosts(though I love ghost stories), and I was very aware that 2/3 of those things could possibly be lurking in the old neighborhood. Gradually, I headed towards downtown, and gradually my fear lessened. My mind changed settings from my safety to my feet, and what they were stepping on. The leaves that had fallen for the past two months were smothered in icy sparkles and, as cheesy as it sounds, they led me home. My thoughts traveled from Moscow to Hawaii, from friends to romance, from sisters to parents, and then back to the stars.

Eventually, I reached Main street, eventually the serenity I experienced on Polk turned into the serenity downtown Moscow always creates, which is a familiar, almost goofy, safe serenity...very different from the eerie trees and deafening silence I felt earlier. The drunk college guys stammered around, and cop-car lights twirled on every street corner. No one got away with anything tonight it appeared.

I reached my door and called for Kitty..no luck, but with her collar, I don't worry. I looked up again, and couldn't help but smile. I thought of one person. Is it snowing where you are? Wish you could see what I saw tonight, I know you would have loved it. See you soon. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home